The Billing Preview is useful for obtaining an immediate perspective on time and expenses relative to each account, matter and across the entire organization. Though the component has been designed to work in conjunction with accounting integrations, organizations will find the functionality quite useful for reviewing time and expense metrics at the account and matter levels.
The information in this article applies to the billing preview functionality available in lightning experience. Please see this article for information regarding the classic user experience.
What is the Billing Preview?
The Billing Preview provides the following functionality:
- The subtotals at the time, expense, matter and account level.
- The summary view by accounts or by matters by using the collapsible headings to hide details.
- Multiple filters including start/end date, account, matter, timekeeper, disposition, and status.
- The hyperlink single-click access to time, expense, timekeeper, matter and account records.
- The printable view creates an Excel spreadsheet.
It is important to note the AdvoLogix Billing Preview is based on the fundamental principal that, for billing and accounting purposes, all billable matters must be assigned to a primary account.
Can I control what is displayed in the Billing Preview?
There are several ways to identify the information selected for display in the Billing Preview.
- The date range is used to select time and expense records based on their respective date values. The Start Date will default to the first day of the current month and the End Date will default to the current date.
- [Optional] Entering an Account value will limit the preview to matters that are assigned to the selected account.
- [Optional] Entering a Matter value will limit the preview to time and expenses that are assigned to the selected matter.
- [Optional] Entering a Timekeeper value will limit the preview to time and expenses that are assigned to the selected timekeeper.
- Select either time or expense to Show within the preview window.
- Select one or more billing Disposition values (Bill, Do Not Bill or Hold). The default values are required by the Accounting Seed integration. Otherwise, you may use your own values here. It is advised to name the time and expense options the same.
- The view menu option provides the end user with the ability to limit the matters appearing in the Billing Preview.
- Select Focus Matters to limit the display to matters qualified for the user's focus matters list.
- The Use List Filter, when enabled, allows the user to select a matter list view filter. This allows users the ability to display only those items related to matters which meet the criteria of the list view's filter.
- Select one or more billing Status values (Unprocessed, Billed, Not Billed). The default values are required by the Accounting Seed integration. Otherwise, you may use your own values here. It is advised to name the time and expense options the same.
- Upon adjusting any of these criteria the Apply button becomes visible to refresh the preview with the current filter criteria. Use the Clear all filters action link on this button bar to reset the filters to the default view parameters.
- Sections can be easily collapsed (or expanded) in one of two ways:
- The entire preview can be controlled by using the Collapse All or Expand All icon (shown above).
- Individual sections may be controlled by clicking the icon in each account or matter heading.
- Use this menu to generate and export the current preview window out in one of following ways:
- Send the report to a Printable View.
- Post the report to a user's Chatter Feed.
- Subscribe and schedule the output of the report with options to send to a user's or a chatter group's feed.
- Refresh the current preview with data.
- Select multiple time or expenses (with their checkbox) then use the Mass Edit button to edit multiple rows at the same time.
- The chart icon displays a selection of charts in the sidebar.
- The chatter icon displays the chatter feed for the selected time or expense record.
- The filter icon shows or hide the filters pane for the preview window.
What values are displayed in the Billing Preview?
The Billing Preview is essentially a dynamic columnar report interface with section headings at the account, matter, time and expense levels.
- The account heading is the top level and provides the heading for all matters assigned to the account.
- The total column for the Account row includes the tally for all Matters assigned to the Account.
- There may be multiple matter headings for each account. All time and expense records will be grouped at the matter level.
- The total column for the matter row includes the tally for all time and expense records assigned to the matter.
- Each matter displays a subsection for time and expense records assigned to the matter. Since billing hours are universal across all records, the time header displays total hours in the quantity heading.
- The total amount of all matter time is displayed in the time heading.
- The total amount of all matter expenses is displayed in the expense heading.
- When a record is marked as Do Not Bill, the Total column will be adjusted to $-0-.
Did you know?
- The Billing Preview can load up to a maximum of 1,000 time and expense records combined for each matter.
- The Next and Previous buttons will be made available to browse through the list of time and expense records when there are more than 200 records to show at a time in the Billing Preview.
- The Billing Preview may be optionally configured to display custom fields.
Can I open or edit records from the Billing Preview?
- View the account.
- View the matter.
- View the time or expense.
- View the timekeeper.
- Inline-edit any field value in the preview window.
- The action menu allows full edit and delete capability for time and expense.
All underlying records in the Billing Preview may be opened and/or edited directly from the preview display. Some users find it useful to use their keyboard shortcut to open the record in a new tab.
EXAMPLE: To quickly edit several time or expense records use control-click to open the link associated with the date column for a time or expense record.
Can the Billing Preview be invoked with preset filter options?
The Billing Preview can be launched with a variety of preset filter options. This may be especially useful for calling the preview directly from a matter or an account with the resulting display filtered to the context of the underlying matter or account.
Billing Preview URL Format
- <INSTANCE-URL> is your organizations instance within the Salesforce platform.
- <URL-PARAMETERS> are the optional filter parameters defined below.
https://advex.ap1.visual.force.com/apex/advpm__Billing_Preview_Lightning?advpm__pbaid=<Account Id>&advpm__pbmid=<Matter ID>
Supported URL Parameters:
The Account ID filter parameter.
Matter ID filter parameter.
Timekeeper ID filter parameter.
- From Date, can be provided as a combination of following parameters:
4 digit Year filter.
2 digit Month filter.
2 digit Day filter.
- To Date, can be provided as a combination of following parameters:
4 digit Year filter.
2 digit Month filter.
2 digit Day filter.
Comma separated list of Disposition filter values.
Comma separated list of Status filter values.
All URL parameters must be appended with the AdvoLogix Matter Management namespace and two underscores, i.e. advpm__.