Matters are the central data element in AdvoLogix. The Matter record maintains a detailed description of a specific legal engagement and is used to track all information relative to the engagement.
Two types of information are collected pertaining to a Matter:
- Demographic and key information such as the Matter name.
- When multiple items may exist, as with Participants, lists of information can be maintained relative to a specific Matter.
Demographic or general information is collected on the primary entry form and includes such information as the matter name, matter number, description, current status, client (or business owner), key dates and other pertinent information.
Organizations have the opportunity to enhance the pre-designed data entry forms by moving, removing and relocating existing fields or by creating their own new fields. The type of information collected can also be customized based on the user performing the data entry or the type of Matter being managed (see record types below).
Several lists of information are also associated with a Matter. Most of these lists are optional though many are quite relative to the maintenance appropriately managing the Matter.
Organizations have the opportunity to remove the pre-designed lists or create their own custom lists. The type of information collected can also be customized based on the user performing the data entry or the type of Matter being managed (see record types below).
Available lists include:
- Notes - Notes that have been related to the underlying Matter.
- Activities - Tasks and Events that have been related to the underlying Matter.
- Documents - Files and Content that are stored within the organization and related to the underlying Matter.
- Participants - Entities that have been specified with a role as it pertains to the underlying Matter.
- Cross-Reference Matters - Other Matters with a direct relationship with the underlying Matter.
- Sub Matters - Those Matters to which the underlying Matter has been assigned as the Parent Matter.
- Offers and Demands - Narratives to memorialize the offer and demand history.
- Time - Time spent related to the efforts and tasks of the underlying Matter.
- Expenses - Expenses recorded in relationship to the underlying Matter.
- Rates - Matter specific default rates used when recording time related to the underlying Matter.
- Budgets - Periodic Time and Expense expectations as they pertain to the underlying Matter.
Participants are a Uniquely Important Related List
Participants are Accounts, Contacts, Staff, or Other related to a specific Matter by the role they play in the engagement.
Collecting information relative to a Matter is often based on the type of Matter being managed. AdvoLogix supports a feature known as a Record Type. Record types allow organizations to design the Matter pages to collect and display a unique set of information, relative to the Matter's record type.