UTBMS codes allow you to create itemized prices for specific or ad hoc chargeable items such as expenses or fixed fee items.
Pricing information on UTBMS Codes affect how default rates are evaluated when entering time. For more details, see Setting Up Default Rates.
Types of UTBMS Codes
UTBMS codes are categorized using the following record types within AdvoLogix:
- Task Code: A granular description of the service provided by that area of law.
Activity Code: Identify the specific service performed.
For example: I wrote something, I spoke with someone, or I researched something.
- Expense Code: Created to categorize expenses on matters.
Editing the UTBMS Code
- Code - Enter the code associated with the UTBMS Code.
- Name - Create a name for this code that briefly describes it.
- Description - Describe the primary purpose for this code.
- Type - Select fixed or unit.
- Cost - Enter an amount you know is going to cost your organization to perform this activity.
- Price - Enter an amount you would like to charge when entering time.
- Active - Enable if you want this code to be active.
- Phase - Enable if you want this code to be identified and used as a phase.
- Phase Code - Assign this code to a phase (normally, phases are identified and split into smaller sub-tasks assigned to specific codes).
The UTBMS Code Set field is to be considered as deprecated from AdvoLogix Matter Management v1.142.x onwards.
There is now a better way to associate any UTBMS Code with a UTBMS Code Set. Read on how to associate a UTBMS Code to a UTBMS Code Set here.
Associating the UTBMS Code to UTBMS Code Set
The UTBMS Code view screen is divided into multiple sections, where you will be able to see the basic details of the code, list of code set members, and related codes.
- Details Information - This section allows users to see basic information about the UTBMS Code such as Code, Name, Description, Cost, Price and whether the code set is active or not.
- UTBMS Code Set Members Related List - This related list contains a list of all UTBMS code sets that this code is associated to. Use the New button to associate any code set to this code.
- UTBMS Codes Related List - This related list contains a list of all UTBMS Codes associated with the code.