Cross references are one-to-many relationships. Allows users to identify the type of relationship and the relationship can be viewed from both Matters. When declaring a Cross Reference Matter, users need to select a relationship, Matter, and reciprocal relationship.
For example, if you have two cases that resulted from the same explosion at your manufacturing plant, you may want to cross reference the two. Or, if a breach of contract litigation arises, you could cross reference it to the original contract Matter with a relationship type of dispute arising from.
Create a Cross Reference Matter
- Without clicking, hover your mouse over the Cross Reference Matters quick link.
- Select the New button to create a new Matter to cross reference.
The Relationship and Reciprocal Relationship fields are dependent on each other as listed below:
Cross Reference Matter Creation Page
- Choose the relationship of Matter A to Matter B.
- This field is dependent upon the Relationship (1) field.
- Defaults to the Matter that was chosen to add a new Cross Reference Matter from.
- Choose the Matter with which to form the desired relationship with.
||Reciprocal Relationship (2)
|Is a dispute arising from
||Is dispute in
|Is dispute in
||Is a dispute arising from
Cross Reference Matters Related List on Original Matter
The above screenshot is a representation of the Cross Reference Matters related list with each relationship used and related to a Matter. Matter B will have a corresponding Cross Reference Matters related list showing it's relationship to Matter A.