The Groups tab displays a list of Chatter groups in your company.
Chatter groups let you collaborate with specific people. For example, if you're working on a team project, you can create a group for your team to share project-related files and information.
You can join up to 100 groups, and your company can have a total of 10,000 groups.
There are two types of Chatter groups:
- Public: Anyone can see the group's posts, comments, and files, but only members can post, comment, and add files. Anyone can join a public group.
- Private: Only members can see and add posts, comments, and files. People must ask to join or be added by the group's owner or managers.
- People with the ”Modify All Data” permission can see posts, updates, and files, and join private groups directly.
For additional details See Force.com's: Viewing Chatter Group Details
Click New Group to create a new group.
Filter the groups list:
- All Groups shows all groups in your company
- Recently Viewed shows the groups you recently looked at, starting with the group you viewed last
- My Groups shows the groups you belong to, own, or manage
Search for groups by typing two or more letters of a group name or description in the Find Groups box. The list automatically filters based on what you type.
Within the groups list:
- Click a group name to view the group detail page. You can view detail pages for all groups, but you'll only see updates and files for public groups, and for private groups you belong to.
- Click a group owner's name to see his or her profile.
- Click Join to join a public group. For private groups, click Ask to Join to email a request to join to the group's owner and managers. Users with the “Modify All Data” permission can directly join private groups, and therefore will see Join for private groups.
- Click a column header to sort the list. The Group column sorts by group name; the Last Activity column sorts by the date of the last post or comment on a group; the Membership column sorts based on your membership status.
If you are already a member of the group you will see Join replaced with Member - Click blue X button to leave a group or to withdraw a request to join a group.
What To Do Next
Quick Links to help you setup and understand Chatter