Record types allow you to offer different business processes, picklist values, and page layouts to different users based on their profiles. Record types can be used in various ways, for example:
Create record types for opportunities to differentiate your regular sales deals from your professional services engagements and offer different picklist values for each.
Create record types for cases to display different page layouts for your customer support cases versus your billing cases.
Record Type Considerations
Keep the following considerations in mind when creating or changing a record type:
You can use these fields to provide different picklist values for different record types by assigning a different process to each record type.
You cannot delete all the record types for an object if the object is referenced in an Apex script.
You cannot deactivate a record type if it is in use by an email routing address for Email-to-Case or On-Demand Email-to-Case.
Force.com recommends creating no more than 200 record types. While there is no limit, organizations may have difficulty managing their record types if they exceed 200.
To Create Record Types
To create record types on standard objects, click Your Name | Setup | Customize, then select an object.
To create record types on custom objects, click Your Name | Setup | Create | Objects, then select an object.
- Click Record Types.
- Click New.
- Choose Master from the Existing Record Type drop-down list to copy all available picklist values, or choose an existing record type to clone its picklist values.
- Enter a Record Type Label that's unique within the object.
- Enter a Record Type Name. This name can contain only underscores and alphanumeric characters, and must be unique in your organization. It must begin with a letter, not include spaces, not end with an underscore, and not contain two consecutive underscores. The Record Type Name refers to the component when using the Web services API and prevents naming conflicts on package installation in managed packages.
- For opportunity, case, lead, and solution record types, select a business process to associate with the record type.
- Enter a description.
- Select Active to activate the record type.
- Select Enable for Profile next to a profile to make the record type available to users with that profile. Select the checkbox in the header row to enable it for all profiles.
- For enabled profiles, select Make Default to make it the default record type for users of that profile. Select the checkbox in the header row to make it the default for all profiles.
- Click Next.
- Choose a page layout option to determine what page layout displays for records with this record type:
- To apply a single page layout for all profiles, select Apply one layout to all profiles and choose the page layout from the drop-down list.
- To apply different page layouts based on user profiles, select Apply a different layout for each profile and choose a page layout for each profile.
- Click Save to edit the values of the standard and custom picklists available for the record type, or click Save and New to create another record type.