Files Overview (legacy)
You can easily upload, store, find, follow, share, and collaborate on Salesforce files in the cloud using the Files page. This includes files you own or have access to from Chatter, Salesforce CRM Content, and files posted to Chatter feeds. All file types, up to 100 MB, are supported, including everything from Microsoft® PowerPoint presentations and Excel spreadsheets, to Adobe® PDF image files, audio files, and video files.
- You upload a file.
- You or someone else attaches a file to a Chatter feed. This includes files attached to all public groups, whether you're a member or not, and private groups you're a member of, but not private groups you're not a member of.
- Someone else shares a file privately with you using the Sharing dialog box.
- You upload a file to a Salesforce CRM Content library.
- Someone else uploads a file to a library you're a member of.
- You or someone else creates a content pack or uploads a Web link in Salesforce CRM Content. You only see files from content packs and Web links you have access to.
On the Files page:
- See all the files you own or have access to and click a specific filter on the sidebar to see a certain group of files:
- All Files shows all files you own and have access to.
- Recently Viewed shows the most recent files you've viewed.
- MY FILES shows all of the files you own, files shared with you, and files you follow.
- Files I Own shows all the files you own.
- Files Shared with Me shows all files that have been shared with you either by a private share or a public post to your profile.
- Files I Follow shows all the files you're following.
- FILES IN MY GROUPS shows all files you or other people attached to groups you're a member of.
- FILES IN MY LIBRARIES shows all files you and other people uploaded to libraries you're a member of and all files you uploaded to your personal library.
- Search for files using specific filters and by typing terms in the Files search box, or the search box at the top of the page. You can search by file name, description, owner, type, or within the file's text. The search results are filtered based on the terms entered.
- Click Upload a File to upload a private file or upload and share the file with people, groups, or via a file link. You own files you upload.
- Click the Preview icon next to a file. Preview lets you see the file without downloading it.
Search for Files
Clicking Files displays Chatter and Salesforce CRM Content files you own and have access to, including files posted to feeds. The 25 most recently viewed files are listed by default. You can see and search a certain group of files by clicking a specific filter on the sidebar.
To search for files using the Files search:
- Optionally, click a filter on the sidebar to restrict your search to a specific set of files.
- Enter your search terms in the box on the Files page. You can search by file name, description, owner, type, or within the file's text.
- Click Search to see a filtered list of all relevant files based on your search terms. Or click (X) Clear search terms and options to clear your search terms.
You can also search for feeds, files, groups, and people by entering search terms in the search box on the top of the page.
The Files list doesn't include:
- Documents from the Documents tab.
- Attachments from the Notes and Attachments related list.
This table shows the types of files supported for search and the maximum size a file can be to have the text within the file included in a search. If a file exceeds the maximum size, the text within the file isn't searched, but the file's name, description, type, and owner are.
View the File Detail Page
Open a file detail page by clicking a file name on a Chatter feed, on a files list, on a file hover, or by clicking More Actions | View file detail page next to the file in a feed. On the file detail page, you can see details about Chatter files and Salesforce CRM Content files, but you can only perform actions on Chatter files. To perform actions on files that originated in Salesforce CRM Content, click Go to Content Detail Page.