How can I quickly get started importing my data?
If you are planning to migrate your firm's data from an existing application, Advologix has the ability to maintain your existing data relationships.
Advologix has several options for migrating data:
- Choose from our Outlook and Excel data Import Wizards
- Use the Data Loader or engage one of our partners.
Create An Export File
To import data into Advologix, you first need to export the data from your existing application. This creates an export file of the information you want to import.
After creating the export file, compare your data with the Advologix fields available for import, and verify that your data will be mapped into the appropriate Advologix fields.
Then, Prepare Your Data for Import.
Import Wizard - Integrated Importing Utility
The Import Wizard is a functionality built into Advologix/Salesforce.com that allows you to import data into the system
You can from ACT!, Outlook, and any program that can save data in the CSV (comma-separated values) format, such as Excel or GoldMine.
Records You Own
There are Import wizards for records you personally own are located at Your Name | Setup | Import:
· · Import My Contacts
· · Import My Person Accounts
For Your Organization's Records
There are Import wizards for organization-wide data are located at Your Name | Setup | Data Management:
· · Import My Organization’s Accounts and Contacts
· · Import My Organization’s Leads
· · Import My Organization's Custom Objects ( Matters, Research, Billings, etc.)
** In the “Import My Organization's...” wizards for accounts, contacts, leads, and custom objects, administrators can import into any of the listed fields, even if a field is hidden or read-only in their page layout or field-level security settings. Individual users can import only into the fields that are accessible to them via their page layout or field-level security settings.
Prepare Your Data for Import
Your file can contain a mixture of some new records as well as updates for existing records. The option selected in the Matching Type field determines whether it is a new or existing record. Choosing a matching type sets the criteria for avoiding duplicate leads.
*If you are the administrator and are importing for multiple users, you must combine your export data into a single CSV file using Excel. When importing new records, add or modify a Record Owner field in your file such that the field contains the names of existing, active users. Enter the users’ full usernames (for example, "firstname.lastname@example.org") or first and last names (for example, "Joe Smith", or "Smith Joe" for Asian locales). This will specify the owner of the imported data for an organization import.
Preparing Your Import File
Review the steps on the Import Wizard for Accounts/Contacts page:
1. Familiarize yourself with the account and contact fields available for import.
2. Export your existing data into a CSV (comma separated values) file.
a. Click the Tell me more! link for instructions on exporting your data.
b. Combine each user’s data into a single CSV file using Excel.
3. Review your prepared data file in Excel.
. Label all column headers with the standard field names or with the names of existing custom fields.
a. Sort the data by account name. Make sure that all company names are spelled accurately and consistently. For example, HP and Hewlett Packard will create separate accounts.
b. Ensure that your file contains only one phone number per field.
c. Make sure contact names and titles are in two different fields.
d. Make sure the import file contains values in only one language.
4. Add a Record Owner column and fill it with the account or contact owner’s Username or Full Name, e.g., email@example.com or Joe Smith.
. Owners of existing records cannot be changed using the import wizard.
a. When importing by ID, the Record Owner column in your file is ignored.
Administrators and users with the “Modify All Data” permission can import your organization’s existing contacts and business accounts from common contact manager applications such as Outlook®, ACT!®, and GoldMine®.
1. The maximum number of characters allowed per note is 4,000.
2. You cannot import notes containing embedded quotes. For example: This is a note with”embedded” quotes.
3. Label the note columns in your file as Contact Note or Account Note.
4. ACT! Users - To export notes from ACT!, you must purchase ACT!PAK! from www.oakpro.com/prod01_ACTPAK.htm. See the online help for information about importing leads, solutions, and custom objects.