Quick Start for Importing Data
If you are planning to migrate your firm's data from an existing application, AdvoLogix has the ability to maintain your existing data relationships. AdvoLogix has several options for migrating data:
- Outlook and Excel Data Import Wizards
- Data Loader or dataloader.io
- Engage one of our partners
Create An Export File
To import data into AdvoLogix, you first need to export the data from your existing application. This creates an export file of the information you want to import.
- Exporting from ACT!
- Exporting from Outlook
- Exporting from Other Data Sources
- Exporting from Salesforce
After creating the export file, compare your data with the AdvoLogix fields available for import, and verify that your data will be mapped into the appropriate AdvoLogix fields. Then, prepare your data for import.
Prepare Your Data for Import
Your file can contain a mixture of some new records as well as updates for existing records. The option selected in the Matching Type field determines whether it is a new or existing record. Choosing a matching type sets the criteria for avoiding duplicate leads. Review the steps on the Import Wizard for Accounts/Contacts page:
- Familiarize yourself with the account and contact fields available for import.
Export your existing data into a CSV (comma separated values) file.
- Click the Tell me more! link for instructions on exporting your data.
- Combine each user’s data into a single CSV file using Excel.
Review your prepared data file in Excel.
- Label all column headers with the standard field names or with the names of existing custom fields.
- Sort the data by account name. Make sure that all company names are spelled accurately and consistently. For example, HP and Hewlett Packard will create separate accounts.
- Ensure that your file contains only one phone number per field.
- Make sure contact names and titles are in two different fields.
- Make sure the import file contains values in only one language.
Add a Record Owner column and fill it with the account or contact owner’s Username or Full Name, e.g., email@example.com or Joe Smith.
- Owners of existing records cannot be changed using the import wizard.
- When importing by ID, the Record Owner column in your file is ignored.
Administrators and users with the “Modify All Data” permission can import your organization’s existing contacts and business accounts from common contact manager applications such as Outlook®, ACT!®, and GoldMine®.
Updating Your Existing Accounts and Contacts
When the import wizard finds a name in your import file that matches an existing Salesforce account or contact, the wizard adds the import data to the existing record. See above for information on merging duplicates. The wizard never overwrites your existing account data unless you check the Overwrite existing account values checkbox. If you check this box, the import wizard updates existing account values with newly imported values but does not update existing field data with blank values. If you do not check the Overwrite existing account values checkbox, the import wizard updates any empty account fields but leaves fields with existing data alone.
- The maximum number of characters allowed per note is 4,000.
- You cannot import notes containing embedded quotes.
- Label the note columns in your file as Contact Note or Account Note.
- ACT! Users - To export notes from ACT!, you must purchase ACT!PAK!