Install the Data Loader (optional)
This article illustrates how to install the Data Loader.
To use the Data Loader, you need:
- Windows 7 or Windows XP
- You can run the Data Loader wizards or run the application from the command line.
- 90 MB free disk space
- 256 MB available memory
- Java JRE 1.5 or later (Windows XP or Windows 7)
- Sun JVM 1.5 or later (Windows XP or Windows 7)
Note: If you are currently using Windows 2000, we encourage you to use Data Loader on Windows 7 instead.
Data Loader Setup
- In the online application, click Your Name | Setup | Data Management | Data Loader.
- Click Download the Data Loader and save the installer to your PC.
- Double-click the downloaded file to launch the InstallShield wizard.
- Click Next.
- Accept the license agreement and click Next.
- Accept the default installation directory, or click Change... to choose another directory. Click Next.
- Click Install.
- Click Finish.
- To start the Data Loader, double-click the Data Loader icon on your desktop, or choose Start | All Programs | salesforce.com | Data Loader | Data Loader.
Logging into the Data Loader
If your organization restricts IP addresses, logins from untrusted IPs are blocked until they're activated. Salesforce automatically sends you an activation email that you can use to log in.
The email contains a security token that you must add to the end of your password. For example, if your password is mypassword, and your security token is XXXXXXXXXX, you must enter mypasswordXXXXXXXXXX to log in.