Installing The Force.com Sync Client For Outlook
Salesforce for Outlook makes it effortless to have the work you do in Microsoft Outlook - including emails, contacts, and calendar events - automatically captured in Salesforce CRM. Automatically sync contacts, events, and track emails with just one click. This document will walk you through the steps to install the "Salesforce for Outlook" plug-in on your computer.
How do I remove items for sync with Salesforce for Outlook?
Salesforce for Outlook uses Outlook folders to limit which records sync with Salesforce. Before you complete the Salesforce for Outlook setup wizard, make sure the folders you want to sync contain the right records. If you're syncing both ways or syncing Outlook to Salesforce, moving a record out of a synced Outlook folder deletes that record in Salesforce. If you're syncing both ways or syncing Salesforce to Outlook, removing a record from Salesforce deletes that record in Outlook.
To change your sync folders after your initial setup:
- Right-click the system tray icon (Salesforce CRM for Outlook system tray icon) on your desktop and select Settings....
- Click Change Folder and select or create a folder that's within your default folders or the main Mailbox folder.
- Click Next, and then click Done.
Click the configuration link to see more details about how you're configured to sync. If you're syncing from Salesforce to Outlook or syncing both ways and delete a record in Salesforce, that record is automatically deleted in Outlook.
Salesforce for Outlook starts syncing with the new folders immediately.
Requirements & Considerations
Microsoft Outlook 2007 and 2010 (32-bit only; Outlook 64-bit isn't supported)
Microsoft Windows® 7 (32-or 64-bit), Windows Vista™ (32-bit only), or Windows XP (32-bit only)
Servers: Salesforce for Outlook is supported on systems that connect to the internet through a proxy server. We support:
- Automatic proxy detection
- Manual proxy
- NTLM proxy authentication.
IMAP and Pop3 email servers are not supported.
Terminal servers, such as Citrix, are not supported.
Microsoft Office Considerations
- Outlook 2010 doesn't support Click-to-Run
- Outlook 2010 users require the Office 2010 Primary Interop Assemblies (PIA) redistributable package
- Outlook 2007 users require the Office 2007 PIA redistributable package
If you don't already have the PIA package, the Salesforce for Outlook .exe installer automatically installs it.
Step by step installation instructions with screen shots
Note: We recommend that you activate your computer before using Salesforce for Outlook for the first time.
- Close Microsoft Outlook.
- In Salesforce, click Your Name | Setup | Desktop Integration | Salesforce for Outlook.
- If you want to see the email and sync settings your administrator has defined for you before you install, click "View My Configuration”.
- Click on the “Download (Version …)” button to download the “SalesforceForOutlook.exe” file
- Save it on your desktop or desired location (It’s not recommended to run the application without saving).
- Once download is complete, locate the file and run it.
- Windows Vista/7 users only: Make sure you run the “SalesforceForOutlook.exe” as an Administrator.
- If you have any Security software such as Norton 360, AVG, ESET Security, or etc, make sure you disable them temporarily during the installation to assure proper installation. To disable security software you need to check with your IT department or contact the manufacturer or service provider for you Security Software.
- Run the installer and finish it
Windows Vista/7 users only:
1. Make sure to uncheck the box for “Launch Salesforce for Outlook” and then click on Finish.
2. Then locate the “Salesforce for Outlook” shortcut on the Desktop, Right click on it and click on
3. Click on the ‘Compatibility’ tab, check the box for “Run this program as an administrator” and click on OK.
4. Run the Salesforce for Outlook from the Desktop shortcut
5. Next Open Microsoft Outlook.
6. The setup wizard opens, and the Salesforce for Outlook icon appears in your system tray at the bottom
right corner of the screen. To manually open the wizard, right-click this icon and click Settings.
To log in to a Salesforce site other than the default, In the Salesforce for Outlook version 1.3.170 and later, click Change URL and pick the correct server. If the server you want isn't listed, select “Other...” and enter the URL, such as a pre-release URL or a custom domain used by your organization.
If for any reason you are using the previous version of Salesforce for Outlook (such as Version 1.2.148) you can change the URL directly from the login page.
7. Enter your Salesforce username and password.
8. Click “Approve”. This creates a secure connection between Outlook and Salesforce. You won't have to log
in again unless you encounter an error. If you click Deny, you'll return to the previous step.
This only applies to Salesforce for Outlook Version 1.3.170 (and feature releases)
If you don’t see this page after you click on login and you are prompted to login again with no error
messages, see Knowledge base article
If your organization restricts IP addresses, logins from untrusted IPs are blocked until they're activated.
Salesforce automatically sends you an activation email that you can use to log in. The email contains a
security token that you must add to the end of your password. For example, if your password is
mypassword, and your security token is XXXXXXXXXX, you must enter mypasswordXXXXXXXXXX to log in.
9. Click Next, and choose the folders you want to sync. You can use your default folders or click Change
Folder and select or create a folder that's within your default folders or the main Mailbox folder (see the
screen shot below)
Important: All data in these folders will sync with Salesforce. If you're syncing from Salesforce to Outlook or
syncing both ways and delete a record in Salesforce, that record is automatically deleted in Outlook.
10. Click the configuration link to see more details about how you're configured to sync.
11. Click Next, and then click Done. A welcome message appears at the system tray icon ( ), which is now
active. If you're configured to sync Outlook items, all data in your selected folders syncs automatically.
The icon spins to let you know when data is syncing.
Things to know:
- Sync Duration: During active use, all updates sync automatically every ten minutes. If we detect no keyboard or mouse activity for 30 minutes, we change the sync frequency to 30 minutes. After two hours of inactivity, we sync hourly, and after four hours, we sync every four hours.
- You won’t be able to login to Salesforce for Outlook after the installation if you do not have an Outlook
Configuration in Salesforce. See Creating Salesforce for Outlook Configurations
-You won’t be able to sync any record if you do not have a “Data Sets” in your Outlook configuration. See
Defining Data Sets for Salesforce for Outlook . This does not apply to Salesforce Contact Manager and Group